Our globally respected client is looking to recruit an experienced and disciplined Engineering Manager on a permanent basis to lead and manage the Systems Engineering Team and to be responsible for the engineering excellence of the company's complex R&D facility, test rigs and supporting systems.
The successful candidate will manage the engineering aspects of the operation and development of the site and, through application of continuous improvement, increase the availability and capability of the plant as a whole.
We expect the Engineering Manager to drive and technically manage new technology introduction and wide ranging changes to the plant including potentially extensive system replacements and upgrades.
Engineering Manager Main Duties:
* Understand the design intent, operating regimes and running characteristics of a wide range of complex plant. For example; large, high power electrical systems and switch gear; rotating machinery such as compressors and pumps; lubrication and cooling systems; hydraulic actuation and positional control systems; structural installations, supporting steelwork and welded structures; etc.
* Define the designs of improvements to the R&D facility, test rigs and supporting systems (as defined in the scope below) and ensure that they are correctly described in company documentation.
* Manage the training & development of the Systems Engineering Team and ensure that their competence is commensurate with the role performed.
* Ensure that the system design and operation procedures are safe and meet legislative requirements and applicable engineering standards. This will include the safe management of asbestos and other substances and also cater for the access limitations imposed by a facility that encompasses modern and legacy equipment and design.
* Ensure that the design, modifications, operation and maintenance processes meet the extant Quality standards.
* Maintain a process for controlling the actual configurations of the systems such that changes to the systems or temporary deviations from the design configurations are visible, understood and controlled.
* Maintain a design process for defining, analysing, reviewing and approving designs, including modifications and temporary changes.
* Perform formal Engineering investigations to determine the root cause of failures or sub-optimum performance in equipment. Develop and implement design changes for a permanent fix. A knowledge of FRACAS, 8D or other structured investigation methodologies is essential.
* Determine from basic principles the operating parameters of systems and equipment which has long-since lost any documentation or current engineering knowledge.
* Be skilled at (and enjoy the challenge of) investigating symptoms in systems which have long-since lost any documentation or current engineering knowledge.
* Maintain a good understanding of the models, equipment and testing methods being used in the tunnels so that compatibility between the design and use is continually assured.
* Maintain a continuous improvement plan for the systems that meets the business requirements and is developed in collaboration with colleagues in the management team considering future plans and business needs.
* Advise the maintenance requirements and instructions for the systems, approving the maintenance plans, reviewing maintenance actions and reports.
* Advise the research projects on the capabilities and limitations of the facility.
* Maintain morale and nurture a productive and positive culture.
* Specify the operating requirements and instructions required to maintain the integrity of the system designs and approve the operating manuals.
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
* Hold either academic qualifications (e.g. B Eng or similar), preferably in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent knowledge by industrial experience.
* Experience of FRACAS, 8D or other structured investigation methodologies.
* Proven track record of coaching, motivating and engaging a team; ideally, in a technical environment and preferably with significant experience.
* Possess a high level of emotional resilience and strong leadership capability including inter-personal and influencing skills.
* Strong leadership skills, including communication, engagement and motivational skills to drive continuous improvement
* Be capable of applying problem-solving techniques in a logical, competent and timely manner.
* Demonstrate assertiveness and decision making skills.
* Ability to influence at all levels.
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements - including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to be part of a successful and professional team operating in a world-class facility.
Please apply ASAP
Suitable previous job titles: Electrical Engineering Manager, Engineering Manager, Lead Electrical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Principal Engineer, Lead Engineer, Systems Engineer, Sustainability Engineer, Reliability Engineer, Reliability Manager, Electrical Systems Engineer, Legacy Engineer