Health & Safety Manager
37.5 hours per week
Salary Circa £50,000 per annum, DOE
Company client is a medium sized life-science company performing a range development and manufacturing roles for biopharmaceuticals. This also includes all associated support functions from logistics through to engineering, quality control / quality assurance, regulatory affairs, and management.
Purpose of Role:
To effectively manage the health and safety function across the PBL ensuring legislative compliance, best practice, and continuous improvement. The post-holder will ensure everyone in the company complies with H&S laws and that the activities and facilities of PBL meet the requirements of H&S legislation.
Main Responsibilities: (Not limited to):
· Develop and execute H&S plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines.
· Prepare and enforce policies to establish a culture of H&S. Evaluate practices, procedures, and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law.
· Work proactively with managers and other key staff to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement in the management of H&S, well-being, etc. Within their areas of responsibility.
· Ensure that rigorous risk assessment and incident management systems are in place and followed across the organisation. Accountable for setting and overseeing the incident investigation process.
· Conduct training and presentations for H&S matters and accident prevention.
· Oversee the adherence to the PBL Safety Improvement plan. Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures.
· Maintain close liaison with management, scientific, technical, engineering, maintenance, and administrative staff to ensure high standards of H&S.
· Actively maintain high levels of awareness of H&S practices and legislation, monitor compliance to policies and H&S laws.
· Maintain and develop a high level of understanding of the nature and significance of the work carried out by the scientific, technical, engineering, maintenance, and administrative staff of PBL.
· Manage a system of auditing and seeking assurance of H&S in accordance with PBL policies and procedures.
· Take a lead role in the development of H&S standards and systems across PBL.
· Participate and lead as necessary in emergency and unplanned events and participate in safety groups and in investigations of accidents and incidents as required.
· Maintain in an appropriate form such records and systems as are necessary to fulfil H&S policy, including those containing confidential information.
· Maintain H&S competences to national standards.
· To comply with all PBL policies and procedures.
· To perform any other duties as per instructions of line manager/senior management.
· Have current right to work in the UK;
· Have a good standard of written and spoken English
· BSc/BA in safety management or relevant field
· NEBOSH Certificate or Diploma
· Valid qualification in occupational H&S – Desirable
· Chartered H&S Practitioner or working towards – Desirable
· Proven experience as Safety Manager
· Min 3-5 Yrs Exp in H&S Role
· Specialist skills in Good Manufacturing practice and biological safety
· Excellent communication skills at all levels
· Excellent organisational skills
· Excellent Time Management skills