Purpose of the role:
* Responsible for the consistent delivery of all payroll activities ensuring strict compliance with all applicable tax legislation and reporting requirements of all relevant government rules and regulations.
* Act as Lead for the Payroll Team, placing a focus upon developing both processes and behaviours to support the society's overall People Strategy, colleague experience and Payroll compliance.
Summary of Accountabilities/Responsibilities
* Articulate and demonstrate 'what good looks like' in terms of both service excellence and effective operational delivery of current legislation. Draw upon own experience and industry practice, whilst aligning to expectations articulated through YBS People Strategy.
* Provide day to day management of workloads, provide subject matter advice to coach and lead the team, improving capabilities within team - Utilising experience of Payroll knowledge and skills, leadership coaching, and other relevant knowledge.
* Establish and implement policy for regular tracking, monitoring and reporting of workloads and quality of outputs to continuously improve Payroll Service elements and performance.
* Own process management to ensure best practice and legally compliant approaches that are consistently applied and understood.
* Perform the appropriate agreed activities required to maintain the new operating model, adhering to any specialist strategies and policies relating to this piece of work e.g. data management, process documentation, testing, transformation of agreed payroll solution to Oracle and training,
* Work in partnership with Finance, Treasury, Tax and Reward to ensure full compliance and company reporting relating to employee data, pay review, bonus and benefit choices as well as monthly oversight of salary & pension payments, HMRC accounts, GL reconciliation and YBS pensions account.
* Manage year-end Tax activity including reporting and production of P60, P11D, P46 and Benefit Statements, ensuring compliance to deadlines.
* Build confidence, share knowledge, and offer expert advice by establishing close working relationships with both key organisational stakeholders (primarily People and Enabling Functions) and the Payroll team.
* Continue risk assessments and mitigation through analysing risks as well as identifying, describing and estimating the risks affecting the business.
* Target cost and processing efficiencies - Ensure potential financial benefits are realised.
Corporate Governance Accountabilities
Support implementation of the YBS vision, values, and strategic priorities so that the YS meet its objectives.
Ensure appropriate governance around decisions, risks and issues within areas of accountability, and escalate these where appropriate.
Advise and contribute to Payroll policies and processes.
Support 1st line of defence activities for Payroll and liaise with 2nd & 3rd line stakeholders to deliver compliance with legislation.
Lead by example and uphold the values and vision of YBS, modelling the way for all colleagues.
Improve divisional performance by supporting effective performance management. Upskilling and coaching of Payroll Co-ordinators.
Support the personal development of Payroll colleagues.
Manage relevant internal and external stakeholder relationships.
Responsible for sign off of circa £7 million in salary and pension payments
Promote adherence to the Operational budget for Payroll.
Measures of Effectiveness
Results of satisfaction feedback assessments (NPS) from internal colleagues, accurate payroll output for internal colleagues
Accurate reporting to HMRC
Ability to ensure compliance with Conduct and Operational Risk management policy, ensuring Operational Risk are informed of any required changes in key business requirements and related key risks are reported into monthly related committees.
Ability to recognise and ensure regulatory compliance with HMRC legislation.
Ability to ensure process risk assessments are conducted regularly and risks identified, managed and reported in line with YBS Risk Management strategy.
Chief People Officer and Chief Operating Officer
Colleague Experience Director
People Experience (particularly HRBPs, Reward)
Payroll experts (e.g. through Payroll Forum)
Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Qualifications - Necessary
CIPP qualified or equivalent
Technical Knowledge - Desired