MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Continue to improve waiting times and establish effective monitoring systems, taking corrective action in conjunction with clinical staff.
* Assist in reviewing demand and capacity planning on a regular basis, ensuring compliance with local and national targets and continuous improvement.
* In conjunction with Director of Screening ensure that medical staff rotas are adequate and take corrective action when required. Ensure that rotas are planned in advance and take into consideration current vacancy/recruitment status.
* Actively engage in and lead Communication Cells' and use them as a catalyst to promote a culture of continuous quality improvement.
* Develop and support the deployment of standard operating procedures to reinforce the agreed standard ways of working.
* Highlight and report any areas of over or under performance and take action as appropriate.
* Responsible for ensuring observation of Professional Codes of Conduct, Health and Safety at Work regulations, Data Protection Act, and the Code of Practice.
* Responsible for reviewing and updating departmental policies and protocols to ensure compliance with the Trust's, NHSBSP and Department of Health requirements.
* Ensure that there are adequate Governance procedures in place and that any concerns are addressed and/or escalated as appropriate.
* Participate in the Senior Manager on call rota and Site Bed rota.
* In liaison with the ward/departmental staff track individual patient pathways against expected length of stay. Report on variances, present analysis of trends, proposing ideas for future service improvements.
* The post holder will be expected to undertake service improvement and transformation projects across the service and to work closely with colleagues to review services and delivery of care.
* The post holder will be responsible for managing a delegated budget in accordance with SFIs.
* The post holder will deputise for the other Service Unit Managers within the Directorate as required.
* Good communication and influencing skills. Strong, participative and supportive management style.
2. Analytically and Planning
* Strong and well developed planning skills to consider capacity
* Work alongside other specialities and directorates to ensure that capacity issues are addressed strategically.
* In partnership with the General Manager, Director of Operations, Deputy Director of Nursing and Medical Director, produce annual business plans, Local Delivery Plans and Service Development Plans in response to the Trust's strategic objectives.
* Take responsibility for the preparation of cases of need associated with any capital or revenue investment essential to the Directorates requirements.
3. Clinical Duties (If Applicable)
* Ensure the highest levels of patient care is delivered and promoted within Services.
* Ensuring that the service delivers safe and effective clinical care, which will require regular interaction with patient-facing staff and patients.
* Take responsibility for the Directorate's responses to complaints ensuring responses are produced to the required standard in relation to time frames and quality and are sensitive to the needs of patients and their families. Take
steps to ensure lessons are shared and that learning can be demonstrated from complaints.
* Regularly attend departmental meetings to identify and implement initiatives and changes to policies to improve the quality of service delivered to patients.
* Assist to develop integrated care pathways for patients.
4. Policy and Service Development
* Assist in identifying service objectives in conjunction with directorate team and linked with the Trust delivery and service improvement plan.
* Assist with service improvement / development in line with local and national priorities.
* Ensure the multi-professional teams have the required resources to implement the Trust's and departmental audit programmes.
* Ensure compliance with national and regional data collection, audits, and benchmarking requirements.
5. Financial and Physical Resources
* Have delegated budget holder status ensuring the delivery of a balanced budget, taking appropriate remedial action as required, and ensuring adherence to the Trust's Standing Financial Instructions and financial procedures.
* Work closely with the relevant Finance Manager to ensure appropriate financial management is in place to deliver services within budgetary constraints.
* Identify opportunities for increased income and cash releasing efficiency savings and work within triumvirate to develop plans to deliver.
6. Staff Management
* Develop a workforce plan for the Directorate that is consistent with the Trust's overall workforce plan.
* Provide direct line management responsibility for administrative staff. This includes undertaking recruitment and selection of staff, undertaking performance management and sickness reviews, conducting appraisals and setting personal development plans.
* Provide leadership and promote collaboration between Multi-professional groups.
* Maintain a culture that engages and involves staff in decisions on how services are provided.
* In conjunction with Director of Screening and General Manager ensure all Mammographer and Screening staff rota's are compliant with the European Working Time Directive.