Job Title: Sous Chef
Responsible to: Head Chef
Responsible for: Kitchen Team Members
Salary: £32k per annum
General Scope and Purpose
The Hilton Garden Inn Abingdon is searching for a Sous Chef to join their highly reputable team. The successful candidate will need to be totally customer focused by consistently delivering excellent customer service with an informed, friendly and effective approach.
You will assist with the control and leadership of the kitchen department within the overall policies and controls established by the Company and hotel General Manager, ensuring that the brand values and standards are delivered and budgeted profitability achieved.
You will always ensure a high standard of cleanliness and practices are maintained, thereby ensuring all statutory legislation is met.
- To ensure that the Kitchen department creates a professional impression to customers and Team Members.
- To and act on Customer Service Reports relevant to your areas of responsibility to achieve positive and consistent results.
- To act upon customer feedback relevant to your areas of responsibility. This to include customer complaints and compliments.
- To be fully aware of budgeted and actual departmental targets. This to include sales, covers, gross profits (food), stocks, average spends and departmental profits.
- To produce and update business forecasts for your department where this forms part of your responsibility.
- To control and monitor payroll costs by allocating labour resources in line with forecasted and actual business levels, using Company productivity ratios and payroll management.
- To be fully aware of and control departmental operating costs in line with forecasted business levels.
- To be fully aware of and adhere to purchasing procedures in the department.
- To maximise opportunities for departmental sales and profit and other related targets
- To assist in ensuring the profitability of food operations and Gross Profit management. This to include ensuring food stock-takes are carried out as required.
- To ensure all stocks are stored and rotated correctly in line with Food Safety requirements, following Company policy to meet statutory legislation. This to include recording temperature checks of food commodities.
- To follow all processes and procedures for food and beverage controls to meet Company requirements.
- To assist with maintaining and constant improvement of departmental operating standards. This to include product/ menu development and menu specifications.
- To cost menus as required
Growing the Business:
- To positively approach sales opportunities in order to maximise sales revenue in order to meet and exceed budgeted sales targets for the department.
- To assist with keeping all department Team Members sales focused.
- To assist with and suggest new promotional opportunities to enable departmental sales to meet and exceed budget. This is to include planning, implementation and review of promotions as directed by superiors.
- To assist with leading and creating a team environment which promotes good morale and ensures a high level of commitment and pride in the hotel.
- To assist with ensuring effective communication within the team by holding regular briefing sessions and attending hotel meetings when required.
- To supervise the work or trainee and other chefs, including their use of dangerous equipment.
- To carry out quality planned training and development in a systematic and professional way in order to meet the needs of the business and assist in individual Team Members’ personal development. To ensure training is recorded and all Team Members follow the Company Induction Programme and appropriate Departmental Training Scheme/s.
- To assist with setting clear objectives for departmental Team Members linked with the hotel’s business plan - where this forms part of your responsibilities.
- To continuously coach and counsel Team Members within the department including your peers.
- To assist with the recruitment of new Departmental Team Members in line with the Company Recruitment Policy where this forms part of your responsivities.
- To participate with ensuring unacceptable behaviour and performance is corrected in line with the Company disciplinary procedures.
Controlling the Environment
To assist with the management of the Kitchen and associated areas (e.g. storage areas and delivery bays) to ensure effective operation on a day to day basis, whilst maintaining Company brand standards consistently with attention to detail. This to include ensuring shift controls and procedures are adhered to.
- To assist with creating and updating cleaning schedules and standards manuals.
- To comply with your responsibilities under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005
- To assist with complying with statutory and Company requirements for Health and Safety, Food Safety, Risk Assessment, Licensing Laws, Disability and other legislation and ensure your team are trained to meet the above requirements.
- To ensure all work is carried out safely without risk to health.
- To ensure all brand standards are met paying particular attention to detail.
- To implement action on Hygiene Audits to enhance the environment and achieve positive consistent results.
- To keep yourself informed of the hotel goals and objectives and those of other departments, maximising the role you play in delivering the hotel budgeted profit.
- To be fully aware of and strictly always adhere to Company cash and key handling procedures.
- To be fully aware and strictly adhere to Health and Safety and fire/bomb procedures.
- To be fully aware of and strictly adhere to food hygiene and licensing, Company, and statutory requirements.
- To be fully aware of and comply with hotel and Company rules and regulations as identified in the Team Member handbook, as detailed within the Company policies and Procedures and displayed on notice boards.
- To be fully aware of hotel activities and facilities.
- To report all damage, hazards and wear and tear occurring within your areas of work.
- To participate with Guest Relations Management (Duty Management). Ensuring a professional and friendly service throughout the hotel.
- To undertake any other reasonable project as requested by your General Manager or Operations Manager to grow and improve the business.
- To operate I.T. systems in line with Company standards.
- To attend when required both internal and external training courses.
This Job Description cannot be exhaustive due to the peculiar requirements of the hotel industry. Therefore, the job-holder may be required from time to time to carry out tasks requested by the Management.